Trip report (1)

I arrived in Toronto at 6:20 am on Thursday morning after a flight which involved no sleep whatever and a tense sit in the lounge, convinced until the very last minute that I wasn’t getting on because of an over-gross weight problem (the aircraft’s, not mine), but I did have a decent and kindly seat mate. I went straight to Jan’s place and get this, it took 45 minutes to get from the airport to Keele and Annette, which is awesome. Cab opened the door and I nearly screamed when I saw him; down the back his hair is longer than Keith’s and the top part’s a mohawk, so he looks berloody awesome (okay, I like extreme hairstyles on young people). Louise (now monikered LuLu) appeared for two seconds, and Jan & I had an extraordinary chin wag which was most nourishing from a creative standpoint, and the best goddamned granola bars I EVER ATE, must get recipe, and then I left all my phone numbers and my cell phone there, just to make me really popular with everybody I was supposed to hang out with in TO. Then I went to Catherine’s where we expedited many blocks (did I need the walk) to go eat amazing Salvadorean cuisine and I had a Negra Modela, which is nice beer! and then we met up with Sandy, and from there to Nataraj, where the three of us met up with Dowker and ate ourselves into a pleasant state of repletion, and then we went to the beer store, where I picked up Dortmunder, and then went back to Catherine’s place and shot the shit, and then I looked at my watch and said, “Tired now” and me and Sandy crashed out upstairs. I kept waking up thinking my snoring was going to cause Sandy to be femicidal, but she slept peacefully through all of my nightly snorking, and bopped out of bed about 7:39 to move her car from the “yes you can park here all night” spot to the the “yes you can park here all day” spot. Then awesome coffee and I ate, get this WILD RICE COOKED IN ORGANIC TURKEY BROTH for breakfast. My body was very happy to be eating this. Then Sandy and Catherine and I either made brunch (Stir Fry, spinach, and salmon cooked in yoghurt and lemon grass and garlic) or played with Catherine’s ENORMOUS COLLECTION OF PERCUSSION INSTRUMENTS, including a thunder tube, and dod, I have every intention of buying one and wandering through the engineering department with it. Sandy (afterwards) “Didja notice I was playing it with my bum?” “No, kinda missed that” and then we went to a novelty store and picked up whoopee cushions and my costume for my April 1st homily, and then we went back to Catherine’s for a while and tried to get hold of Jan to recover my phone, unsuccessfully, and then they dropped me off at Phil’s place. Now Phil is my only legal and previous husband, and he said he had kind of interesting news for me, and I know he’s diabetic, so I assumed his interesting news involved an amputation or two, and I said this prior to going over to his place, so I guess I was not surprised to make the acquaintance of his surgically amended foot. I was really surprised to hear about the kidney transplant though. We had a very nice chat, which involved me listening very hard, while he talked, and then Tammy, who had been owed a phone call back about two hours previously, showed up, fed me roast pork, parsnips, taters and eggplant soup (dod, the soup was AMAZING) and then out to the hot tub in the swirling wind and accompanied by a few stars, and then clunk, unconsciousness. Now it’s like two in the afternoon and Tammy’s off seeing live theatre and I’m blogging.

Published by


Born when atmospheric carbon was 316 PPM. Settled on MST country since 1997. Parent, grandparent.

One thought on “Trip report (1)”

  1. Wow. WHAT a weekend. It’s going to take some effort to come down, after your plane comes down.


Leave a Reply