THIS COUNTRY NEEDS UBI UNIVERSAL BASIC INCOME NOW!
(Scanged from tumblr/twitter):
When you hear that an unhoused person ‘refused services’ here’s what it means:
- refused to give up their pet to get space in a short term hotel room
- the shelter they were offered a space in isn’t safe for someone of their gender/sexuality/origin
- couldn’t consolidate their belongings into two bags.
another person added the following:
- They didn’t want to sit through demeaning and bigoted religious services just for a place to sleep. (Church run food banks do this a lot too btw).
- They were late and the shelter wouldn’t let them in and voided the rest of their allowed stay bc they didn’t call and tell the shelter they couldn’t make it in before closing. They had no access to a phone or transportation.
- One of the other people at the shelter got violent/threatened violence, theft, sexual assault – and the shelter refused to do anything about it.
- One of the SHELTER EMPLOYEES/VOLUNTEERS got violent/threatened violence and the shelter refused to do anything about it.
- The shelter refuses to disclose if allergens are in the food they’re providing saying, “This is all you’re getting, be glad for this much and thank god!”
- Shelter refused to believe person is homeless saying, “You are FAR too clean and nicely dressed!”