MAILED IT TODAY June 10 when Jeff and I went for a walk. Then we ordered pizza and watched Time Team.
June 9, 2020
Superintendent of Schools
Board of Education
Burnaby School District 41
5325 Kincaid Street
Burnaby BC V5G 1W2
Dear Ms. Nicoli-Moen,
Please listen to your Black and Indigenous students and remove the RCMP from their current roles, including attending career days, in Burnaby schools.
<—– my request
I would support this action as a Burnaby voter, parent of two former School District 41 students who commented frequently on racial tension at their school, and politically curious person who is speculating why it is that everyone on the senior management team of your organization is white, when Burnaby is not a majority white city.
<—– my cred, with a boot to the ass in the last sentence and there’s NO FUCKING WAY I’m telling you which school, although ten bucks says someone who reads this letter checks the records
With my hopes you and your loved ones will stay safe during the pandemic,
<—– despite my distaste for cops in schools, I bear you no personal ill will
Now I have to print it and find an envelope and sign it and post it so this is a draft until I actually move
she gets a star trek stamp, I’m thinking JANEWAY … fuck I love myself sometimes ha ha used Sisko instead
so allegra has been arguing for the decertification of police unions and the stripping of pension funds for quite a while.
In the UPSUN books, when the elders formally get the land back, they have already brought the Vancouver Police Department to its knees.
- they’ve presented the VPD with a much abbreviated code of conduct and a list of all the infractions which are actually supposed to be attended on by the police hint hint it doesn’t line up with the CCofC (the sixers stole all the private police documents about disciplinary hearings and community relations, too and published them on the main sixer site, so the cops start off their relationship with Stô:Lō on their back foot)
- a lot of cops left town at the hand-off…. they saw the writing on the wall. between 1/4 million people fleeing the lower mainland convinced that the takeover will ruin the city (besides destroying their investments) and the news that violent cops will be disciplined, much yeeting occurs. which means there are fewer police
- they’ve instituted dismissal proceedings for every cop with a misconduct complaint involving custodial and domestic violence, stalking, racism, sexism, homophobia and misuse of public funds, and you get two flavours of dismissal; one involves getting your police pension, and the other involves trying to sue the city, in which case you don’t get your pension and you get fired, ha ha ha. NEXT!
- Even if you aren’t dismissed, you have to RESWEAR YOUR OATH OF OFFICE to the people of Stô:Lō, NOT THE QUEEN, NOT THE ELDERS
- Most police are disarmed. They have pepper spray and truncheons, and thasssallll folks. Armed police must requalify every sixty days and stay clean as a whistle in terms of public complaints. Police are not required to carry weapons. Police not carrying weapons who are injured in the course of their duties get all medical expenses, no questions asked.
- All police have their names, stations, photos in AND out of uniform and badge numbers available to the public for reference purposes (the idea of a perp book for cops was too delicious to resist)
- The pension plan is now controlled and directed outside of Canada so the feds can’t fuck with it (Iceland, gotta love Iceland).
- Police are no longer required to wear full uniforms to work. They need a hat and a badge for identification. (beaded badges come into fashion, and indicate various things about the specific police)
- Police are allowed to take second jobs, mostly training cops from other police forces about how to deal with sixers. They are not allowed to provide security services for pay, though.
- There are number of places, including the expanded Chinese embassy grounds, where the cops don’t go.
- AND OF COURSE, if you want to complain about it, you get to go to the Justice Longhouse of Stô:Lō, where two of the judges are elders and one of them is a sixer, and court runs 24/7 and you have to stay put until your case is called, and there are no lawyers who understand how the court works who aren’t Indigenous, so best of colonial luck with that, pal.
I’m sleeping less at night and more during the day, which isn’t particularly healthy. Jeff’s sleep cycle is a bit jarred from normal as well.
Forgot to mention with yesterday’s walk there was so much cottonwood fluff in the air I’m glad I was wearing a face shield.
I am SO GLAD I don’t live in downtown New West.
The NOISE this will generate, my god. Because of where we live we get to listen to the trains, especially where they cross the water at Annacis Island (the echoing and banging is quite something).
So one of the things that I read about COVID is that even people who only get mild cases get a bounceback, often a month later, often with an attenuated version of the symptoms, almost always accompanied by exhaustion.
I slept about 12 hours yesterday and was moving through a fog the rest of the time. We did get a walk in, though, and that set the day at a slightly higher energy level …. somewhat.
Minneapolis council members are talking about disbanding the police.
Managed not to sleep the entire day away but that hardly constitutes an accomplishment.
saw a typo so egregious I was moved to type:
fix the typo or face the unreckonable fullness of my colon and my spleen
such horrific vistas are mine to conjure, these words are the sand of my playspace
Now normally when one is trawling the internet, one leaves typos alone. There are variants on alone, such as private messaging, where you can address someone out of the glare.
But when it’s a newspaper, nope, no holds barred.
find feeling and follow
the words, a parallel furrow
dug into the body
not to wound but to attest
that this event has meaning
drawn beyond the geophysics
marks my marrow
||interpret these lines||
poems about motherhood
and hardly any about
how it is an alien occupation
shifting tissue into your brain
yes, truly, I am centred in my frame
/mark these deletions
they are where I was brute
no one wants it/
trust the body
connect this breath to that word
and make that spider thread
a braid of wonder
another bad mental health day yesterday, but Peggy, despite her gammy knee, dropped by with pie and after Jeff and I LITERALLY DEVOURED IT STRAIGHT OUT OF THE CONTAINER, we used forks thank god, he said is there more like I had hidden some (where? in my ass crack?) and I said alas no, because that strawberry rhubarb pie was among the best I ever et.
Xeni Jardin on twitter, May 23 2020
I learned during cancer that it is important to be mindful of the possibility that these might be the normal good old days. There is no guarantee of relief or a happy outcome. None whatsoever. Paradoxically, through practicing acceptance of this truth, I finally found peace.
I’m trying to combat the listlessness with lists. I’m listing to the left on this one. Listerine is not on the list. Allistics are not on the list (just in case you don’t know, this is non-autistic people when autistic people are talking about them and Jeff you were looking for this word the other day as I recall.) Calisthenics are definitely on the list – in fact I can Zoom in to my former exercise classes, if I used Zoom, which I don’t – Skype is my limit on that shit. I quit Skype. It’s listenable but they took on a right wing air hog in a multi million dollar deal so I delisted them from my credit card expenses. A klister is NOT on the list. Becoming a phallist is not on the list… I mean, I’m a fan, but not a stan, if you know what I mean. Should I put being a homilist on the list? I asked twitter to give me hints for writing a new homily as a writing prompt. I paid to go virtually to WisCON and didn’t even watch a panellist. I could stand to see a decent cemballist, but finding one that’s a decent stylist might be difficult, especially if they’re an atonalist. Am I emblematic as a personalist? I could be, if I wasn’t also being such a damned diabolist. I can’t keep walking through each day like a somnambulist.
Mental health not so great
bailed on singing
Peggy says she’ll bring me pie.
Brandon Morrison @ForestandFlame on twitter made this
We found Time Team on Acorn and I personally am loving it; I think Jeff’s coming along to be sociable.
Spoke to Mike yesterday, as that poem likely reveals. He doesn’t want to see me because he’d just die if he got me sick.
This is our world. The best want to save me, and the rest want to avoid wearing masks with passionate intensity.
Anyway, I’m crying my little eyes out right now, and that’s a good thing, because I’ve been bottling it up for weeks and there’s shit worth crying over. Also, there’s shit worth not crying over, like 4 pm Saturday at Peggy and Tom’s we’re going to attempt to sing again. CAUSE IT WORKED SO WELL LAST TIME LOL we just talked and that was fucking fine thank you.
I feel really sorry for all the people affected by Typhoon Amphan. I don’t understand why that ratfucker Modi hasn’t declared a state of emergency? It is an emergency, the photos and video coming out of the Bay of Bengal and Kolkatta are just heart wrenching.
There are so many trans people on Twitter trying to get away from toxic home environments and begging for money that’s another reason to cry. I remember sitting with Paul and talking through what we’d do if we had a trans kid, and we agreed to love and support our trans kid, but no surgery until they were legally adult. I think we may have huffed the puberty blockers decision but I know we wouldn’t if we had to do it again today.
The four brings of allyship
A video call is too hard
I don’t have what it takes to manage it
and his laptop’s never booted up
work has eaten every moment
my outgoing text: Call me when
you have the opportunity and energy
I reach out with
better to do this
Finally, as the depression grinds through its portion
of his brain, and barfs up his attention span, he calls back
and I say I don’t judge you for making me wait
it’s like crossing the road in wild traffic
you must wait for your moment and dash
will the world
still be there
when the scramble for now is over
If god watches me
Is he bored or entertained
No answer today