- Just a reminder that I am a proud nudist (naturist sounds funny to me, sorry) and that if you really piss me off and I don’t have other recourse I WILL REMOVE GARMENTS. Starting with the legal stuff, and moving on. Since there’s apparently hardly anything that disgusts and freaks out bigots than fat old naked women, I’m keeping that one in reserve. Also, Peter Verigin LIVETH. (This last specifically so mOm can read it to her sister lol)
- Also, I did not order those copies of “Grandma Was a Nudist” they JUST SHOWED UP HERE.
- Jeff gets a hall pass. Poor guy. It is true that one of the first things I do when he goes away is walk around the house naked and yodelling (sometimes it’s kazoo, and it’s all very much sad for Buster, who has a demonstrated preference for me remaining clothed since I make a better lap that way and he loathes my music.) (Except in the laundry room, which has a security camera vs the raccoons and since Jeff reviews the security footage once a month I don’t want him clapping his hands over his eyes and going AUGH NOMAN HAS BLINDED ME.)
- Which is why, although I haven’t been over there for what feels like centuries, and so not recently, the first thing I do when I get to Mike’s is AUGH FREEEEEEDOM. (I even have a cubby for my clothes like at JJ Spa – and Mike’s place IS a spa, at least as far as I’m concerned.) Also he keeps his apartment about 28 degrees, summer and winter and he’s got it set up so you can sunbathe on the balcony year ’round. Sometimes I wave at the neighbours over by the Skytrain station. I don’t know if they’re watching, but you never know, and I don’t imagine anyone I know would ever tell me.
- Sigh, the salt room at JJ Spa. I MISS IT SO. But with this new COVID wave, nuh-unh.
- I should probably call Mike.
- I do very very very occasionally still wear a bra and pantyhose but that’s like a church/weddings/funerals/someone’s paying for a classy dinner scenario.
- I made Yorkshire Gold Tea for the household (which will end up in the sugar free iced tea, most likely), peppermint tea as a day-opener for Jeff, and coffee for me. Honestly, I don’t know how many more times I’m going to get coffee and sugar and cream all in once place again, so I really try to enjoy it while I can.
- I played with my Kaossilator yesterday and came up with an ABSOLUTE banger of a beat, 56 bpm / g20/ c_ key/EGY scale/94&96 percussion and yowza. In my life I’ve never spent that little money for a tech toy that brought me this much joy, and Jeff commented that a small child and an elderly adult can both enjoy it!
- Anyone doing waste water research says the balloon has really gone up for the latest variant.
- Suzanne’s computer has been scanned and will be returned to her shortly. She got a scare but it’s all good. THANK YOU JEFF.
- Tanya Basu reporting from Corpus Christi on Twitter: The harassment has real-world consequences. The Corpus Christi area teacher’s union president’s house got shot at earlier this week. School board members are being heckled online. Educators, mostly women & poc, are quitting their profession in droves.
- There are rumblings of a NEW hemorrhagic fever out of Tanzania; it isn’t Ebola and it isn’t Marburg (so saith local testing with help from WHO) and it’s currently killing about 1 in 3 of the people it infects. Tanzania is one of the countries on earth most lethally affected by mosquitoes. It sure would be good to know what other mammalian reservoirs there are for this bug.
- Keith and Paul are on the Island visiting various and sundry folks and by reports a mellow and convivial time is being had and mOm was enjoying FOOD DELIVERY what a concept.
- I sent the first half of Totally Boned to mOm about a hunnert times yesterday. Finally I stripped off all the formatting and re-sent it and now I’m mentally hopping from one foot to the other waiting to hear back. Google mail barfing on a 30k word document just seems like bullshit to me.
- Forced birth advocates in the US seem to be under the impression that since they repealed Roe v Wade opponents need to shut up and be nice to them and it’s NO ACTUALLY WE’RE GOING TO PROTEST IN FRONT OF YOUR CHURCHES AND THROW RED PAINT ON YOUR VEHICLES AND RUN YOU OUT OF RESTAURANTS AND GIVE YOU AAAAALLLLLL THE CIVILITY YOU RICHLY DESERVE.
- Putin has signed a bill banning media outlets that don’t recount the Russian War of Aggression against Peaceful and Democratic Ukraine in a way he personally likes, for starters by mentioning that it is, you know, a war. A quote: The application scope of the law covers the adoption of measures against false information dissemination, smearing the Russian Armed Forces’ performance, or disrespectful manifestations towards the Russian Federation’s society, state, and official symbols.
- David Osland on Twitter this morning, retweeted by Potsherd Man Paul Blinkhorn of Time Team fame: Consider Britain and Saudi Arabia. One has temperatures that exceed 40 degrees, is ruled by a royal family presiding over a corrupt government that is militarily dependent on the US, and openly represses peaceful protest. But Saudi Arabia has its problems too.
- Wordle in four tries this morning, good lumosity brain workout. *here I am, sighing over having to do mental math* *here I am, trying to get my response time down under 1000 ms* *Here I am, measurably 20 percent less smart than I was in 2014 HEY NUMBAS DON LIE* I find it funny that often, the less I’ve slept the better I do.
- What happened to US health care? Ronald Regan was elected
- Jeff reports that at 5 in the morning THE ALLEY IS CRAWLING WITH EXTREMELY LIVELY RATS. Small ones medium ones some as big as yer ‘ead! When he takes Buster for an alley walk he sees them. MANY MANY RATS. ZIP ZIP ZIP.
- Today I shall read the most recent Capilano Review. It’s a really good literary mag y’all.
- Weather most fine; a/c still working well.
- Stomped hard on a Facebook friend yesterday. Women contestants are tired of the pure whites of tennis, and he said IT’S A UNIFORM WEAR IT and I said FOOLISH HUMAN HAVE YOU EVER HAD A PERIOD WHILE BOUNCING UP AND DOWN AND FIRING BALLS AT A 105 FUCKING MPH AT AN OPPONENT yeah I didn’t think so. Siddown and shaddap.
- 33487 WORDS end of Part I. Part II – Blossom’s return, Steve and Jack get their asses handed to them, Richie shows up just in time to make things a) better b) more dangerous c) more complicated (THANKS RICHIE YOU LITTLE B-) AND MORE SHIT ABOUT EMIGRATING TO CANADA THAN ANYONE WANTS TO KNOW ABOUT.
- I love doing research, I end up finding out things that are both hilarious and realllllly unexpected, but I now know that the Fran’s closest to TGH is open 24 hours and then I learned something actually demonstrably useful about how horselaugh bad the March time change is. See below for illustrated figure.
- that cliff? that’s the cliff your body falls off when there’s a time change. I had never actually seen it represented and HOOO WEEE THERE IT IS. Now imagine you’ve gone to Iceland or whatever and the cliff is literally 8 times taller. And do you know why I saw this data set in the first place? Because I wanted to know the angle of the sun coming in to the side of TGH so I could visualize a scene (last scene in part I.)
- I learned that plots of land are as low as $40K out by 70 Mile House and it sure would be nice to have a family campground. This is not compatible with my current political leanings so I am irked by my inability to be consistent. If someone else tees it up I’ll help pay for it.
Category: Sex & Reproduction
Roe vs Wade is gone
My entire life, the US has been going backwards in terms of human rights. This ruling solidifies the US as a Christofascist state.
The crowning achievement of colonialism is how it has tapped into the human genome to recycle itself. The finely woven threads, the self-repairing structures of racism and sexism, fear of the other, the urge to destroy that which is experienced as diseased and loathsome, they all belong to colonialism, which I am now going to conflate with the human tendency to devalue other human beings based on feelings of disgust rather than facts. Now science brings us the truth behind the experience of conservatism, that it is based in physical disgust.
This disgust results in things as various as the relentless offering of young men to death in warfare, and old men fighting against young women guarding their fertility as they see fit in consequence. Generation after generation of old powerful men, in whatever culture and of whatever colour, offer young men into the maw of war and conquest, having dragged them from their parents’ arms and essentially from the mother’s womb. Kind people on the sidelines weep with loss as this happens generation after generation.
I have been struggling all my life with this fundamental flaw in human nature, the place where the sociability of human beings, which is quite remarkable, breaks down. Now I see it. It is in the rock-crusher of our capacity to feel deep, emotional, physical disgust that we are broken into pieces and fed into colonialism. It seems circular, and it is. There is a constant value, circulating in the human genome, of persons who feel disgust more readily, inbuilt and coiled in every cell. They will, being of a certain neurotype, congregate, and then they will amass resources and make of their disgust a common, noble reason to make war on anybody on the outside of the group.
I find this haunting. Someone has tried to reconstruct Babylonian song.
Yesterday I saw Sue in Little Women the Musical. Unfortunately the book was not as good as the actors and musicians. Fortunately I was able to argue my points with the actors afterwards without being dishonest or unkind, and it widened into a broader discussion of the challenges and rewards of musical theatre. Ten years ago I would have said, Oh it was great, it was great. Now I have the brains to respect people enough to be honest and the social intelligence to be honest without being a cad.
It was in Granville Island. I had half an hour to Christmas shop. I got an Alexosaurus (stuffed T Rex) and a kazoo. Strangely, that is what I wanted. I have rarely had a briefer and more pleasant Christmas shop. The weather was crisply glorious and I likely won’t get to Granville Island again until Tammy comes.
Jeff and I walked to IHOP and back for breakfast. It was very pleasant.
I think Riddle Number II is a cloud. What do you think?
Work on the trilogy continues. Kima is pregnant – with more than 100 zygotes by three fathers of two different morphs. This presents any number of social, emotional, physiological and ‘race’ issues.
I had a pleasant recent conversation with Dave JD. He has joined the ranks of the unemployed. I tried to get Facetime to reduce the expense of talking to him and repeated and lengthy attempts to purchase it were fruitless. I really loathe anything to do with Apple customer service. When I want an Android app or book I press a button, and free or not, it appears on my phone in about five minutes. (I’m still on the first chapter of the Piketty book -if anyone wants to mock me… go ahead).
I can’t really deal with heeled shoes any more so I took two pairs of Fluevogs into church yesterday (the bus DIDN’T COME at 10:03, or even five minutes earlier according to the guy I ran into so I was 25 minutes late for church, screw you translink). Anyway the teenaged co-congregant who had admired my steampunky shoes got about 300 dollars worth of footgear in a little bag, and if I did nothing else yesterday I made her very happy. Her socks MATCHED the second pair of shoes, in a most gratifying way.
How do you detect an extrasolar planet? With objects found in hardware stores and Nikon lenses and software and a little something something to remove blur.
Yesterday morning I awoke to a dream in which Hitler’s mustache was crawling up my door frame. I woke up for real and spent a disoriented couple of seconds looking for it. Very odd, and not a little disturbing.
Breakfast of writing champions! Peanut butter cookies warm from the oven and fair trade coffee with real cream. Ha!
We think Autumn may be knocked up. It’s always something.
22 ways rapists hurt men
- They reduce the number of women interested in sex. Then they blame women for not being available. They drag you along for that ride.
- They damage women physically and sometimes give them long term health problems which your taxes help pay to ameliorate.
- They spread diseases.
- They make men who don’t rape look bad by association.
- They use men who don’t rape as camouflage.
- They can sometimes leave psychological damage resulting in some women have a hard time being open and honest about their sexuality. Some women vomit, cry or go limp during consensual sex because they’ve been raped. If they won’t tell you why, it can leave you devastated about your own sexuality.
- They are convinced that women deserve to be raped, and con younger men who look up to them into believing the same thing. That younger man could be you, your brother, your son.
- They mess with your reality, your life, your future and your trust by raping women you love and continuing to be your ‘friend’. THIS HAPPENS WAY MORE THAN MEN REALIZE.
- They are the men who invented the friendzone, and try to convince you that the way out of the friendzone is rape.
- They tell women you love that no-one will believe them as they rape them, with the end result that the women you love will lie to you about what’s happened to them, by omission.
- They hurt people and spread the blame across all men.
- They expect you to stick up for them if they are caught.
- They trick you into agreeing if they say she deserved it, so you can be reduced to their level of selfishness.
- They gloss over how much of rape is rape PLUS child abuse PLUS mental cruelty PLUS messing over the reproductive futures of the women they rape, and possibly, as a consequence, you.
- They honestly believe that what they are doing is merely ‘having sex’, ‘getting laid’; their inability to feel remorse or consequences mars the relationships between and among men.
- They prop up the notion that sex is something women have that men want, rather than sex being a continuum of desire / consent / ability / availability.
- They misuse science to prop up their belief systems and turn up the volume when they are repeatedly proven wrong, to the point that any evidence that rape is not a ‘natural state of affairs’ gets shouted down.
- They turn men who don’t rape into faceless villains. It’s hard to be the hero in your own life when you’re the bad guy in literally thousands of other lives.
- They kill the ability to be sexually spontaneous in some women, one of whom may end up being your partner.
- They rape your sisters, daughters, mothers and friends.
- They kill discourse by threatening rape to women who say things that irritate or refute them.
- They make it possible for human trafficking for sexual slavery to occur by making rape part of the breaking in process, hurting every close family member of the victim.
and where are you on these assorted continua?
My favourite story about myself
My favourite story about myself brings together many of the threads of my life in one place.
I was working at the Canadian Mental Health Association Ontario Division office in downtown Toronto. I had a job I liked, a boss I adored, and coworkers who taught me a lot and accepted me as I was. I was expecting my first child and they threw me a surprise baby shower.
Like most expectant moms I was reading baby books as fast as I could and had absorbed an incredible amount of information. I was planning on breastfeeding and the night before the shower had read how doctors had once told mothers to run bristle brushes over their nipples to toughen them up for nursing. I considered this to be entirely barbaric and even complained to my then spouse about it, and he agreed with me.
I was so flabbergasted and so touched when they brought me into the boardroom for presents and cake that for a brief moment I was speechless. Then I started reviewing the gifts which were thoughtful and kind, until I got to a present that was a brush, labeled ‘Nipple Brush’.
I got quite irate. “If you think I’m using this on myself you’re out of your mind!” I said firmly.
I realized. This was for a baby bottle, not me. What I had been reading the night before was so close to my mind that I had just assumed….
As realization flooded over me I blushed to my hairline and muttered “Never mind,” while my coworkers sat around me and laughed until they cried. Pretty soon I was laughing too.
Not all of the misunderstandings in my life have been so funny.
And the math says so
Grandmothers are part of what makes us human!
So I’m poking around my favourite joints on the internet, and run across a Eurekalert reference to erectile dysfunction research. Everybody knows that nitric oxide is what triggers the onset of an erection, but nobody had nailed down – sorry for the choice of words – what sustains an erection, which is the other half of working on ED. Turns out that you need a continuous cascade of nitric oxide to keep the jolly happening, some of which happens in the penis itself. At the very end of the article, there’s an offhand comment about how forskolin assists to keep this nitric oxide cascade flowing.
I’m thinking, Darwin’s Beard, a compound that assists with ED that’s called Forskolin? I mean, it’s like hiding a foreskin in plain sight. So I look up forskolin on wikipedia, and it sounds like homeopathy, it’s been offered up as a treatment for so many conditions. But no, science. And the molecule looks like Oh Ho Ho with a boner at both ends. But that’s just me, I can derive amusement from almost anything.
Dear Mr. Kenney, and by copy to Mr. Julian,
Look, it’s really very simple. If you don’t want an abortion, don’t have one. If you don’t have the equipment to ever need to make that decision, stay out of it.
Do not attempt to legislate the recriminalization of abortion in Canada. Although there is a substantial minority of Canadians who would applaud the recriminalization of sodomy, gay marriage and abortion, we live in a modern pluralistic liberal democracy and the majority of Canadians don’t support those stances.
Recriminalizing abortion is regressive, mean-spirited and an assault on women’s rights. It’s bad medicine, bad politics, and bad social policy.
I say this as a woman, a tax-payer, a church-goer and a voting Canadian.
Kill M-312 as soon as possible.
phone and address redacted
May ludicrous things happen to Jason Kenney
O, FFS. Jason Kenney is trying to recriminalize abortion. The war on women has officially moved north of the border, kids. You’ve got a day to move on this.
If you have had an abortion WRITE YOUR MP AND COPY JASON KENNEY. If you think women have the right to legal safe abortions, as well as the contraception to prevent unwanted pregnancy in the first place WRITE YOUR MP AND COPY JASON KENNEY. If you don’t want to live in a country where your daughter or friend or sister or coworker is forced to carry an unwanted pregnancy to term after she’s been raped WRITE YOUR MP AND COPY JASON KENNEY. TELL THEM TO VOTE NO ON BILL M-312. http://www.canada.gc.ca/directories-repertoires/direct-eng.html#mem is how you get hold of them. FOLLOW UP WITH A MAILED LETTER – you may send it at no charge to http://www.parl.gc.ca/Parlinfo/Compilations/Addresses/ParliamentaryHOC.aspx
Letter to the Globe and Mail published January 5 1991.
John Allemang’s recent comments on the subject notwithstanding, women who choose to breastfeed do so from the conviction that they are doing what is best for the child. I was pregnant and/or nursing for almost five years, and I certainly got bored with it, but I never felt trapped, because it was something I chose to do, voluntarily, despite the witlessness and smug, value-laden commentaries of people like Mr. Allemang.
I never flashed my breasts in public because I failed to see how I could advance the cause of nursing by so doing. Take a poll of real live women who nurse their children, and ask them how they feel, rather than telling us how you think they should feel. We already know that a lot of men like looking at women’s breasts. Please tell me something new – that we are perhaps now living in a world where a woman can discharge her responsibilities as a caring parent without getting flak for it.
His last comment about bottles bringing happiness into the world was egregious. Tell that to a Third World mother who has lost child after child to formula mixed with contaminated water, or the mother whose child has become kendy or brain damaged due to lead-contaminated formula.
I blame the patriarchy
….is a blog, not mine. The rude and rowdy feminist who runs the site quoth she, quoth she:
Did you know that not being happy for people on demand is some sort of crime? It’s true! The minute you aren’t happy for somebody who is making the worst decision of her life, they absolutely have to take you off their speed-dial and snub you in social situations.
This in response to not being thrilled when a friend announces impending nuptials.
Up at 2:45 this morning
This early rising business MUST stop. So I guess it’s time for a roundup.
Adult onset diabetes foreshadowing in rising level of 5 proteins. Link here.
Lots of lawsuits won’t necessarily help your case. Righthaven screwed up, but fair use rights have been protected.
A very commonly used contemporary chart about radiation exposure, which I only link to on the off chance one of my readers hasn’t seen it yet. Here.
The “serpent storm” on Saturn. via Nasa/Cassini.
The assault of the Repulsigans on women’s rights continues. Honestly, though, the “Harper Government” would do the same thing if they thought they could get away with it; fortunately the Bloc QuÃ©becois would have a collective seizure if they tried to pass something like this.
The assault of the Repulsigans against anybody who dislikes factory farming continues. In what universe is it illegal to take a picture of a farm? (link removed for security reasons).
From chipper, an ad for what she termed a ‘proofreader’s delight’.
Also from chipper, some lovely ‘supermoon’ pix from England.
I have no idea how church went yesterday, I was in the kitchen helping Peggy with coffee. Gave Carol a ride home and picked up some frozen fruit so I can make fruit toppings for pancakes a bit at a time.
The executive director of the Elizabeth Fry Society talked at church today. I’ve bitched about Sheriff Arpaio for allowing a woman to deliver her child in irons, and today I found out, while tears exploded out of my eyes THAT CANADIAN CITIZENS WHO GIVE BIRTH IN JAIL DO SO IN HANDCUFFS.
My disgust for the Canadian ‘justice’ system has never been greater. No… words.