- So the EU ambassador to China, a Spaniard, has announced that the Spanish government’s position on Taiwan (peaceful reunification for 1 China) is actually the EU position. It’s not. Horror across the internet this morning at this blatant contradiction of the majority stakeholder view across the EU.
- I’m so itchy I’m having trouble sleeping. My tear ducts seem to be blocked up too, and my eyes are sticking shut.
- Started working on Part II – 73 words so far.
- Three shootings in Toronto last night, one dead, two gravely injured, shooter or shooters still at large.
- Words cannot describe how much I’m hoping – and I’m an abolitionist – that Steve Bannon goes to jail in the same country where someone said that the economy would fall apart if jails didn’t contain almost free labour.
- Putin says Russia’s high tech sector is facing ‘colossal’ problems due to sanctions.
- They’re emptying the jails and putting the dregs of Russian society at the front, according to sources inside Russia.
- 110 degrees F in Fort Worth TX today that’s 43 degrees C. The grid in TX is teetering thanks to Repulsigan policies and chronic underspending by ERCOT on maintenance. Bad things are going to happen, it’s like sunshine and gravity.
- Wonderful Nova program about the JWST and the first pictures. I knew it was a hellaciously complex and overbudget project, but just HOW complex and HOW overbudget was kind of heartstopping, so thank science it worked. Ain’t nobody going to fix it if it quits.
- CBC is reporting lightheartedly that repeated COVID infections will be the norm and don’t pose a problem and this is directly counter to every reputable clinician and epidemiologist that I follow stating loudly and clearly that every repeat infection raises the spectre of disability from Long Covid. Fuck them for saying that.
- With Jeff’s kind assistance, I have taken Otto to the krankenhaus. I will receive word on Thursday.
- Keith reports that Jim is doing much better.
- I have finally seen “The Trouble With Harry”. Damn but John Forsythe was hotter than August in his prime, and what a freaking voice.
- 40 degree C weather in Britain. Monuments and bridges are at risk of cracking, damage and failure. Brits don’t take heat seriously so the betting is it will be super hard on the disabled and elderly. Australians and Americans on twitter are trying to help with inexpensive advice. From today’s twitter: In more “country totally prepared for hot weather” news: Blackpool Victoria Hospital (note, in the UK) has propped its doors open to keep the building cool, but now the hospital is full of seagulls AND HERE’S ANOTHER ONE “SKY NEWS REPORTER, CITING MILITARY SOURCE: UK ROYAL AIR FORCE HAS HALTED FLIGHTS IN AND OUT OF ITS LARGEST AIR BASE IN THE UK BECAUSE THE “RUNWAY HAS MELTED” IN THE HOT WEATHER and ANOTHER:
UK airport suspends all flights as heatwave melts runway tarmac
A spokesperson for Luton Airport said: “Following today’s high temperatures, a surface defect was identified on the runway.”
- My dad does not like seagulls. Not in his aircraft engines and definitely not in his hospitals. NO WORD ON HOW HE FEELS ABOUT MELTY TARMAC
- The ERs at Dr. Helmcken Memorial Hospital in Clearwater and South Okanagan General Hospital in Oliver are on diversion due to staff shortages.
- let’s talk about everything that’s wrong with this article. First off, fuck that family for booking a Disney cruise in Alaska during a pandemic. Second, Air Canada SAID it was going to be cancelling flights left and right at the end of June. Did they not get the memo? What did they think was going to happen. THIRD their daughter HAD COVID BEFORE THEY STARTED TRAVELLING or she wouldn’t have popped symptoms on the fourth day…..they would have ended up on a boat with a sick child anyway. How the fuck is that a vacation? fourth they got treated terribly by Air Canada and had to sleep in airports and it’s like HAVE YOU NOT BEEN PAYING ATTENTION TO THE NEWS? EVERY SINGLE PROBLEM CITED IN THIS ARTICLE has been part of the nightly news since the travel season started. There’s NO ROOM in the current Air Canada schedule for aircraft going mechanical.
- Maybe Roger Waters of Pink Floyd is a more important figure and musician than the Weeknd and Drake but why the fuck would he say so in public? I’ll tell you why!! HE DIDN’T GET REVIEWED IN THE MAJOR PAPERS! Oh, you poor poor man. that’s get off my lawn style crankiness and RACISM. PS I hold no brief for either of them and Drake’s a creepy asshole who macks on minors and makes for great memes but HE’S A HOMETOWN CHILD IN TORONTO so of course it was a big deal. Not understanding the local politics doesn’t make you a likeable figure dude.
- Time to back up your computers, earth’s about to get smacked hard by a coronal mass ejection. Radio and GPS disruption expected, low latitudes aurorae, first thing tomorrow. Chances of being an x event is 10% but we’ll get something for sure….
- WHO confirms a Marburg outbreak in Ghana.
- Zelenskyy remains pissed at Trudeau, line forms on the left pal.
- Above is the atmospheric ‘ pot lid’ on Europa.
- NASA’s ‘climate spiral’ video.
- SO ITCHY
10608 words. Haven’t checked for kudos yet, snicker. Okay, now I have, and it’s just the one.
Buster trained so hard this morning, and was so weird yesterday morning, that I honestly don’t know what to make of him. And while the communication board has shipped, I can’t get tracking data because they want me to have a cell phone to download the shipping app onto.
jesus parkour christ, seriously?
Yes, I know it’s 4-20. But every day is that for me, so celebrating it seems foolish.
a repeat, but a good one
I went walking with Jim and Jan, a long time ago, and ‘prisma’ed’ the above photo…
LOL someone said something enbyphobic and (essentially) transphobic at lunch yesterday. I said, as loudly as polite, “That’s bigoted speech,” but no one heard me. At least I didn’t say nothing. I won’t repeat what she said but it’s the standard VARIANT on ‘please make up your mind about your pronouns’ and when I think how hard I’ve mentally fought to have a genuinely gender fluid character in my stories without all my icky cis assumptions on them maybe I should have been more gritty… but what good would it do? I mean when do you get a white woman to change her mind.
The meal was delightful (jerkwad comments aside) and I admired Ingrid’s amazing wine coloured hand knitted alpaca dress (she let me fondle the hem, thank goodness, because it was like an enormous red cloud of patterned softness) and listened to Jan burble (she is a burbler, and a damned good one) and do you know what, she took my sf recommendations AND SHE’S READ ALL OF MARTHA WELLS’ MURDERBOT STORIES and we all talked about how much we love the Expanse (book and show)
and instead of going to bookstores afterwards like a realio trulio Dunnetteer I headed to the weed store to buy CBD gummies, because pain management is real, you know.
I did consume one glass of Glenfiddich in Dunnett’s honour. AND I have pain behind my right eye today in consequence, it’s my standard response to alcohol consumption.
I love how the background TV was formula 1 so I got to watch Lewis Hamilton get interviewed with the sound off.
Everyone in the restaurant was an old, like me. Like, without exception. Made me wonder about the local demographics.
Took a taxi there, came home via transit, curled up, watched TV, remembered to completely dry my laundry, put the split pea soup away.
Saw one of my all time fave “Vancouver interactions” –
when that happens all I want to do is whine.
Whining is not attractive. Ranting is more attractive. Roar roar, let’s follow this fool off whatever rhetorical cliff is attached like an Ambrus sketch to the following: alas! alas! she said (picture a small porcelain doll, animated in dim natural light from two directions, flailing on a rag rug in a child’s bedroom) this means that I must come up with a topic! (montage of said porcelain doll, set to martial music, outlining something vague with a wavering stick on what appears to be the world’s smallest square sticky note, climbing up an expressionless and motionless one eyed teddy bear to deliver a rousing speech to the rest of the completely unresponsive toys, tossing a sticky-hand over to the door knob from the highest height close to the door that she can climb, with a book tied to her leg – the music shifts from martial to moody — you hear a terrifying rip and the door has sprung open, but the porcelain doll has paid a terrible price and -music shifts to glass harmonica horror with processed bowed bass and stays like that for the duration- now she walks a-kilter like a zombie, even though she is not a zombie, and man, it does not do a damned thing for her and she was pretty scuffed up when she started and you’ve only seen her from behind since she made it through the door but now the POV swings round to the front and you realize she isn’t porcelain she’s some kind of icky bakelite in white people’s skin tone beige and her nose has chipped off from her fall from opening the door) for the life of me I can’t think of a topic.
sane people, pls leave – this is in response to Despair ep 18 of the last season of Supernatural.
Original creator of the show Eric Kripke (at least I think that’s who it is) with a rainbow flag and the word COPE:
backstory for the above, fans who only like the relationship between the two Winchester brothers are called bibros. Having Cas (canonically his name is CASS but that’s not what we do in fandom, ha ha) an actual life partner – potentially or otherwise – is making them lose their cheese.
Jesus Christ this above noted post made me laugh so fucking hard
the below-noted post IS IMMEDIATELY WHERE MY MIND WENT AFTER THE SHOW WAS OVER
Yeah NO SHIT, love this callback, although Dean didn’t actually get enough time to say anything
no, I really haven’t, because that’s the kind of love it is, and always has been represented that way, and fuck the haters
now in the fandom they’re saying destiel is what makes Putin resign, which when you consider HOW MANY RUSSIAN FANS THERE ARE is quite possibly the funniest thing about this tempest in a teacup
above is shown the catholic reaction….
LOLOLOL this was the Friday after the show/election
SPN fandom above is memeified in the Avengers universe. Cas disappears during the scene, but he’s already been resurrected three times, so…
I think @solarbirdy’s comments on the above noted complete lack of reaction are best, but she’s a filker so I won’t reproduce her speech without permission
In other words, this represents such an upgrade to the notion of queerbaiting they’ll have to throw out their previous thesis. Also, Tumblr as a social media platform was dying and the extra hits they got as a consequence of Supernatural 15/18 were substantial
Destiel fans often refer to themselves as clowns.
the above-noted isn’t exactly what happened either
nope, not this either and anyone who DOES expect skin should probably give their good ol’ head a shake. I want A HUG FOR THE BOYS that means a little more than the ones they’ve given each other so far.
EVERY G.D. WORD O’ THIS ABOVENOTED POST
LOOK UPON THE WOMAN WHO SAVED THE WORLD, now we have to survive the next two months OH PS SHE’S OUT ABOUT BEING A SUPERNATURAL FAN but we do not know how she feels about destiel and I would very much like to think that she STANS.
WELL I THOUGHT THAT WAS IT, BUT THERE’S ANOTHER CHASER FOR THAT SHOT
JESUS CHRIST, THIS FANDOM
things I hate about other people’s fanfic
saying it’s your first one.
NO JUST DON’T
Tyops S o amny tyops Please poofread your gay works
Insufficient tags or TOO MANY
Changing how you do paragraphs in the middle of the fic.
NO CLOSE QUOTES o god I hate that so much
About this time ten years ago I was thinking about Gelis a lot, from the Niccolo series, about how the two of them tried to inhabit each other’s minds, and how it ended up in a huge betrayal. I had a three song day, and this was one of the songs (I should look it up, I’m probably wrong hey Jeff.) The magic that allows him to find her and her to trick him by moving her wedding band around is integral to the books; the song lyrics are pure fanfic, except for the last verse, newly added, which is a condensation of that part of the plot that pertains to their marriage.
between skin and flesh
Did you go straight to a shrine
When you got off the boat
And did you say my name
Did you pray for something special
God’s own grace to hide your shame
I am not the kind of person
that these things happen to
and these things happen
because of you
You wrote down my name on parchment
Then set it ablaze
I know when you did it and it
Stayed in me for days
I am not the kind of person
that these things happen to
and these things happen
because of you
To the world that may be watching
We appear at war
But it is a game we’re playing
Though our son might ask what for
I am not the kind of person
that these things happen to
and these things happen
because of you
A couple of days ago, Misha Collins, Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki got on social media to announce that the TV show Supernatural is ending next season (season 15, over 320 episodes) and the finale of all finales will thus be next season – their choice, most likely. A couple of them had been crying, which doesn’t bother me, I’d be crying too if I moved along from the best job I’d ever had even if it was my choice.
Inside the fandom, for the show, there is a substantial chonk of LGBT and straight cisgirl fans who absolutely love on the idea of a romance between Castiel the angel, who appeared season 4, and Dean the Hunter, who, along with his brother Sam the Hunter, carries the show week to week.
There are also Supernatural fans who write fanfic in the A/B/O universe (don’t look, it’s a concourse of poorly realized paraphilias and it’s even worse when you realize that (never mind, just more fandom bs) and I have read precisely one decently written A/B/O fic so I know it’s possible but Jesus it’s GROSS) and write explicitly incestuous fic (it’s called Wincest, and I haven’t even let my eyes roam over one of them, thanks).
Neither of these two things are supported by the show; Destiel, which is the mashup of the names of Dean and Castiel, while not supported word for word in script canon, is teased at, at least once a season, all through the show. I won’t go into the list of specific callouts as to there being romance in the air, just go to the Dean/Castiel page on Superwiki, where it’s all laid out in prim detail.
It’s my belief that the show would rather kill one of the characters than let any of them wander off into the sunset, encoupled. From a strictly ‘whose body is this’ standpoint, there’s no longer any squick about who Castiel’s vessel is, which removed a lot of the hassles about a canonical romance. But
it doesn’t fit the show. And Castiel, although he can be briefly physically affectionate, has not been represented as a sexual being, at least not successfully.
So yeah, I’ll write fanfic because it looks like love, romance and lifetime commitment to me. But anybody who thinks Destiel is gonna be canon is a fucking idiot, because the lead actor, the gold standard of a richly successful franchise, is happy with how things are.
The queer-baiting will continue until you make your own art, folx. (Definition of queer-baiting on the page linked to above.)
- Recovering a normal digestive schedule after getting rid of my ulcer last year
- Wrote a lot of songs (melodies, airs and instrumentals) this past year
- Published Upsun
- mOm and pOp
- Keith continues to challenge himself and the results are wonderful
- Katie is a safety officer and if someone had told me that when she was 15 I’d have fucking choked to death laughing, or possibly crying, or walking into a door from just the utter strangeness of such a happening
- Reconnecting on twitter with my second oldest friend, Liz GOD WE ARE LAUGHING NOOOOOW
- The Black, Latinx, trans, disabled, Indigenous and combinations thereof activists and academics on twitter who hold me to my oath to improve my understanding of gender and race every damned day
- @GreatDismal is great on twitter (William Gibson of Neuromancer fame) because he supports his wife and children in their endeavours, reposts the coolest damned stuff, and is fucking hilarious in that standard low key way of his.
- @DecolonialBlack – his tweets are one third pure fire, one third reasoned argument and one third hilarity through a very fine lens and all of it educational as hell
- @cricketcrocker I won’t say she’s my fave Indigenous person on twitter cause I still think
- @apihtawikosisan is that person mostly because of how she talks about her kids and also her clarity with language is like drinking elfin wine
- @ConnerHabib is my fave male sex worker / cultural commentater on twitter
- @whoresofyore is so wonderful in so many ways she gives me life ALSO she does everything she can to repost pictures of non-white sex workers and also men wearing allied uniforms in wwII which is like freaking awesome. Some of her reposts are racy as hell, and it’s very nice to see some black and white booty for a change in a full colour race toward hell
- @SFdirewolf is getting me on board with disability rights – she is FYYA (FIRE)
- LOVE @ZoeSTodd although sometimes I find her challenging
- @StephanieCarvin is about as politically correct as a hand grenade in a barrel of refugees but she sure has a lot of well researched opinions about Canadian security and so as long as I’m writing about asymmetrical warfare in Vancouver I kinda hafta pay attention – and she is grimly feminist and no chump, so I accept her as she is
- @Olivia_Graciela AKA Auntie Carpet Weed is freaking awesome. If you’re on twitter follow her and get dragged into the light Indigenous women are holding up over their challenges
- @xodanix3 another amazing person worth following. She has a mean streak I quite like.
- @BorschtSiouxp is likewise full of bright beauty and hot takes and awesome
- @IvaCheung takes on user guides, grammar, social justice and life in general and I love her with whatever my gristly heart can beat out
- @Inked_Archivist who not coincidentally is my biggest fan (Upsun series) and posts fantastic SJ stuff from Europa and the Netherlands I wouldn’t otherwise see.
- @GeorgMir is my dose of Austrian game making fandom – a beautiful soul who wants the best for the world and ain’t takin’ no shit in the process
- @APebbleInTheSky is my favourite anarchist
- @rechelon is not my favourite anarchist but I need him because he’s the only anarchist I know of who is remotely consistent in his personal and political life
- @cjane87 is an amazing writer and opinion leader and her comments on sports events especially football have given me more laughs than I can count
- @bogiperson is an amazing writer and anthologist and I’m a better person for reading their posts and links
- @SpicyTunaRo not exactly as spicy as advertised but has given me plenty to chew on regarding Indigenous rights and history
- @MikeStuchbery_ is so wonderful I’m just going to tell anyone who is on twitter to follow him. He’s not always right but he’s edumacational as all get out.
- Alex not drowning on my watch at Edmonds Community Centre
- Paul driving back from Seattle in the rain to housefilk at Cindy’s in January and Paul in general and I hope his ears are burning over what we said about him today, all nice except his driving of course
- @LuxAlptraum, not perfect always perfect for me
- @gerdurhalldora is the magical Icelandic woman who showed me around a very small part of Reykjavik and I’m SO HAPPY I MET HER
- The Iceland trip, all of it. The landscape, the people, even the food although I’ll eat fermented shark in hell and not before…
- This message on facebook was about me. IFUCKINGROCK screw the haters
This morning, I had the longest facebook messenger convo of my life and it was, with little exaggeration and without getting into personal details, a life saver.
Technology really can overcome distance and give you meaningful connections with people far away.
Reach out to your friends, and you will get and give support in ways you can’t imagine.
We all need each other.
I am grateful and thankful for the love and support of my girlfriends.
- the picture of the grandson of the above noted friend HAPPY SIGH
- really feeling like I’m coming around from this depressed period. writing at least 300 words a day
- Starting to meditate – still not consistent at it but I am enjoying how hard it is
- published 114000 words of fanfic on a03 JUST THIS YEAR if you think I haven’t been writing I basically never stop
- Rawd’s package came for mOm and what a bonanza of family history
- mOm fell down and got a hip 18 months faster than she was booked to, got the surgeon she wanted and got a private room — this is like hitting a hole in one from the moon even if you live in a major metropolitan area in Canada
- season three of The Expanse
- My mOm, just now, reading A PURE FIRE LETTER FROM FAMILY HISTORY ABOUT THE HORRORS OF FUNDAMENTALIST CHRISTIANITY YUP YUP YUP
- Margot dying was horrible but how kind we tried to be about it was not and what happened with Deimos was a fucking tragedy but it was not made worse by the people around me and that’s not nothing
- Mike, who needs two mentions
- Jeff, ditto
Dug out the front stairs, walkway and sidewalk, the back stairs, side walkway, garage walkway, and the snow blocking passage to the laneway.
New Years Writing Resolutions:
Publish 5 books (4 out of 5 are written) block out five more, e-publish my book of homilies, write two more of fiction and two of non-fiction. Finally assemble all my filk songs as of the end of 2016 into a big pdf file. Dig more deeply into Scrivener and see what else it can do to help my work flow. Learn more about e-publishing. Print at least a small run of physical books (probably locally) so I can put them in my mOm’s hands. Put everything for free on my website so people who are broke can read it. Develop a mailing list for book marketing purposes. Learn to spam LinkedIn since it’s all they’ve ever done for me. Figure out if it’s worth it to put any version of the ‘trilogy plus bookends’ on Amazon, given all the hassles I hear about. Start a Patreon account. Move 1500 units. Start submitting to publishers once I have some sales. And remember that 1000 words a day is 4 books a year!
I am completely and utterly sober. I have five minutes to pour myself a toast of something before I greet the new year with some Moar Wrdz.
I AM NO QUIT I AM EXTEND SON
I’ll be working until the end of January. The woman I was hired to temporarily replace for medical reasons and to be a casual is now not working for the company, reason unknown. My reasons for not wanting to be there are still in place but I’m getting paid and I don’t have to work weekend days so I don’t care. Steady middies for me!
It’s amusing that I’m awake now. The world is white and quiet with snow, and if I was working tonight my shift would be about to start…. I just woke up.
I could use the money, although I’d forgotten the extent to which commuting in the wintertime is such a fricking drag in this burg.
Getting to and from work the last week has chewed through a bus station mop. But… it only took an hour to get home yesterday.
My characters are sad and so am I. It’s the pathetic fallacy folks.
Also one of them is quitting drinking and I’m walking alongside him for portions of that, which I loathe.
Although I did think of THE MOST DISGUSTING SIXER RELATED GAG I mean I burst out laughing when poor Jeff was trying to watch the Dallas/Tampa game, which was ugly and beautiful and what the hell’s going on with the zebras, and mah God Dak Prescott, but I just had this vision of Sweetie, who is like 3 kilos, being the security guard for the whorehouse, and controlling a patron with the vilest impersonation of Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry one could possibly imagine, and I couldn’t stop laughing because the joke grows organically out of the situation and at this point we could all use a laugh,
because Trump sailed through the Electoral College, and the Republic, tottering after decades of hacking at the Constitution and weak from never dealing with racism and the Civil War, is in full kleptocratic collapse.
What to watch for over 4 years in the US:
Higher infant and maternal death rates – this has actually been going on in slow motion over the decade I’ve been keeping track, it’s sickening…
More prison rioting (underreported) as the food in prisons gets worse and worse under Trump’s prison owning buddies
Higher violent death rates, across the board, all kinds – vehicles (road rage), guns, knives, stranglings.
More alcoholism and alcohol related death
More needle drug abuse and higher rates of AIDS HIV infection. More people dying of ODs, pills and otherwise.
Zika running wild in South Florida and the gulf coast and women being forced to carry the fetus to term with no health insurance for a lifetime of need thanks to Republican state legislatures
Hundreds more deaths each year from white people carrying guns, being scared of black people and shooting grandmothers and toddlers but mostly teenage boys who are existing while black
Muslims being burned alive in their mosques. Hasn’t happened yet but it’s going to happen and more than once.
Tripling of deaths in custody. (The statisticians just learned that the number of people who’ve died in custody in the US in the last five years is ACTUALLY DOUBLE what they thought because there’s no reporting mechanism and now the cop unions are trying to prevent any oversight of this statistic at all…)
Diaspora people – Jewish, black and Muslim – who have family and opportunities in Canada, moving here, although they’ll probably need a couple of years of Trump to realize it’s time to get out of town.
Tourism tanks across the US and Trumpites CELEBRATE America for Americans.
Confederates bringing automatic weapons to Pride Days and killing grandmothers and toddlers along with some queers.
Open war on First Nations Land; mass incarcerations and arrests, and Trump’s buddies making money on it.
More legal weed.
Secession talk from more than California.
The Left NEVER calling him President Trump. Just Trump. Or Cheetolini.
Patton Oswalt falling in love again and remarrying. Because honestly, that man deserves happiness.
Sad family note. Young cousin got a bad (not what he specifically and carefully asked for) haircut… but we have a hairdresser in the family and our relations did not have to have that experience. I wish it were otherwise but how often does adult convenience drive the nightmares of small children. I speak from sad and memorable experience here, thinking about Katie and the earring back. I still cry when I think about that, tho’ Katie has long since forgiven me.
A friend asked me what my Christmas Day plans were and I said “Reheating takeout and watching Die Hard with my brother” and now we’re eating at Hal and Cassidy’s, go team!
At some point Jeff and I have to leave the house for supplies, but the urban slushy streets are too disgusting….
When you’re a spy, you don’t have many friends, and the friends you have are not likely to help you out on a lonely Saturday night. You won’t likely be partying with high priced callgirls either, even if you weren’t suspicious they are trying to steal classified intelligence documents while demonstrating reverse cowgirl. Anyone you have sex with can be turned against you, and the honeypot is the oldest trick in the book. Humans are social creatures, and it’s hard not to get fond of someone you’re sleeping with. It’s best not to have sexual entanglements at all.
So …you are going to be masturbating.
The trick is to do it like an op; be quick, clean and quiet, and leave no evidence.
Yesterday was the Solstice Feast, and it was wonderful. Julie, Brandon, Baby K, Mike, Paul, Keith, me, Kate and Alex attended. Kate and Paul did all the heavy lifting for cooking. The one thing I made was gravy, not my best effort but still damned good.
We had turnots and carnots mushed, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, roast turkey with homemade stuffing, cranberry sauce, home made brown bread, steamed green beans, and OMGOMGOMG the brussels sprouts were so amazing I declare it a family standard festive dish. Mike declared he was going to preempt the normal way of doing brussels for his family festive meal later this week. You steam them, them pan fry them and then drown them in fresh parmesan and garlic. KEITH HAS NEVER EATEN BRUSSEL SPROUTS before last night.
People were getting seconds, it was unreal.
Alex was mostly fine but when he was hours overdue for a nap he was pretty fragile.
Then Mike drove me home and we stopped off at the one place in the lower mainland he knew for sure he could get Crown Royal Northern which the Whiskey Bible author says is the best whiskey in the world this year…. for less than 35 bucks a bottle.
It is really rather good, and for the price point it’s insanely wonderfully good.
The liquor stores are out but the Oliver Twist had two bottles left. Trouble was Mike had already blown through his 2 bottle limit, so there I go with my stupid hat and buy some more, and that’s it, it’s probably gone in the Lower Mainland. Helping Mike with Christmas shopping was an awesome way to end the day.
Then home and after a contemplative couple of hours winding down I went upstairs to bed AND STARTED REVISING THE SECOND NOVEL which meant that I was actually writing. Four hundred words or so – since mOm will want to know it’s the longish chapter about the pregnancy close to the beginning of the novel. There were two particularly tangled and compostian sentences and I killed one and inverted and broke apart the other, so, yay me.
THEN Ulrika on Livejournal this morning SHARES THIS WITH ME. I am absolutely gobsmacked and will immediately implement some of her suggestions.
What an amazing 57th birthday I had!!
I ate a meal I didn’t cook for brekky (left over Desi Turka chicken tikka masala with rice pulao), I ate a meal I didn’t cook for lunch, for Jeff feasted me at Switzerland Chicken, and I ate a meal I didn’t cook for dinner, as Mike feasted me with pan fried oysters and new potatoes.
We watched all the rest of Black Sails more or less because we couldn’t help ourselves. Then I watched the season 3 teaser trailer just to drive myself nuts; god willing and the crick don’t rise I’ll have more in January around Conflikt time.
I brushed and degunked Margot and avoided being killed on the stairs by Buster. My rapid increase in wordcount you can tell for yourself and I shipped off some new stuff to mOm.
I got phone calls wishing me a happy birthday from Mike, Katie, my mOm and ewishes from Patricia and DJD. Absolutely nobody on facebook wished me a happy birthday. 258 facebook friends and you get a prompt for friends’ birthdays, but not a sausage (hey I needed the message about social media not being as important as my flesh and blood friends…)
I slept over at Mike’s so we had just enough to drink to be festive but not to drive, and I do not feel muzzy headed this morning so I think I titrated the dose properly. ASBACK BRANDY BE GREAT YO. Tecate Beer tastes like a man complaining of an unhappy marriage. I shall not drink that beer again. I even wrote 185 more words last night while I was here. It was a particularly writing sort of day.
I got prezzies! A foot soaker tub and a headrest pillow for air travel. SO HAPPY and so very unexpected, but I’m not too old to appreciate it.
I wrote a letter to my MP and ran a load of laundry and backed up my documents.
am I not awesome!?
Lots of writing yummy food and yes I know I am a big kid. And we’ll feast again on Katie’s bday on Friday, yay!
Weather’s the pits and the wind’s going to come up but I’m snug where I am and it’s wonderful. Vitamin D and probiotics make me a better person.
OH AND ONE LAST THING. I have an interview with a job agency on Wednesday. Just came right out of the blue. Isn’t that a perfect thing to happen on my birthday? Nothing likely will come of it but you never know, and I got all those nice new work clothes from EShakti, and nicer bras and underwear too over the last six months so if I DID get a job I wouldn’t be going O M F G what do I wear tomorrow. So really, a spectacular day.
While I’m all bubbly and babbly….
TOBY STEPHENS PULLS HIS BEARD AND IT MAKES ME HAPPY gratuitous Black Sails reference. Especially since it’s really his beard, and did you know he’s Maggie Smith’s younger son, and married to that Plowman actress who played Sarah/Osiris for 4 seasons on SG1? Screw Kevin Bacon SG1 is where the connections really fly.
Cake, Pudding and Cheese are the three alien babies who named themselves after food because food is always popular among humans. Apex predators aren’t supposed to name themselves after food, that is just wrong, but some of the babies have names like Doofus (“Nobody will be afraid of an alien named Doofus” and Etazonia (which is a variant of Ã‰tats-Uni, so one of the kids named herself after the United States, which is also pretty bizarre.) They have briefly shown up at a family reunion – just long enough to mention that they’ve been rehearsing, and to sing a three part version of “The Giant Squid has Not” – with animations, sound effects, and stage business – on their way to a gig on the Island. So I didn’t really write 500 words yesterday, it was 500 less the words I quoted from Brooke’s song, which was just the first verse. Hey, their dad’s a filk fan, and why the hell not. I’m going to write about what I know, right? bwa ha, ha ha.
Some of the babies were named by their mother and their mother’s current squeeze (Kima and Michel are a very cute couple.) But when you’re having 175 babies at once some of them get away on you before you can name them. Hey, it was an accident. It’s hard to do something right when you’ve never done it before and there’s no precedent.
Jeff, who is a life-saver, got treats yesterday AND got malware off my Mac, which is very very happy making.
Margot jumped up onto the sofa to say hi yesterday and accept skritches when we were watching some tv… She rarely does this when both of us are there. Buster is usually sitting on my side of the sofa and I must threaten him with the Giant Setting Bum of Allegra which usually means that Jeff rescues him from being crushed milliseconds before he gets mashed into the cushion because he is unconcerned by impending doom. He is the least ready-to-take-offense-or-be-frightened cat I’ve ever met.
Hell on Wheels continues to entertain, the new Patrick Stewart sitcom (Blunt Talk) is uneven but when funny EXCRUCIATINGLY so, Brent Spiner shows up in a guest slot that will make all the fans go squee, and if you don’t want to watch Walter Blunt /Patrick Stewart down three Ambien when he was expecting three Provigil while sucking back marijuana edibles like an East Burnaby ‘hood rat and washing them down with scotch, you shouldn’t watch it. Jeff and I were both very entertained by the opening shot. Patrick Stewart doesn’t just have a bald head, he has an ICONIC bald head.
It seems clear that a new generation of comedy writers is taking on the half hour sitcom format and making it new. Grace and Frankie, the Brink and Blunt Talk (and bunches of others we haven’t seen because we’re not fans of the writers or stars) are sophisticated, funny, humane, well-acted, written and directed and they move like screwball comedies on rails.
Did you know that JFK was accidentally shot by his own security detail? Many things about the shooting now make much more sense in the light of this new theory.
The Mr. Robot season finale didn’t air because some content was too similar to a shooting in the US which happened during the same news cycle, so they had to can it — we’ll see it later. And props to the show runners and network for giving it a rest. The fans will wait. The Rick and Morty was okay, there were some good laughs and Keith David as a voice actor is always worth the listen.
Almost every single episode of West Wing that we’re watching is pulling its news from CURRENT headlines – and the show’s been off the air almost a decade. Sometimes the overlaps are so freaky that Jeff just look at each other all o,O like what the HELL man. Last night it was ‘we’re really close to curing cancer’ and it was so similar to the recent news it was surreal. And people torching AME churches and school shootings, it’s all…. yeah.
Everybody drive safe this weekend. There may be flash floods and overwhelmed streams and sewers may make for trouble in low lying areas. We’re still going to be on water restrictions.
Mike has returned from South Africa, the single most brutal business trip he’s ever been on, and Jarmo had his last day yesterday at Evilcorp. Mike took me to supper last night. Just for future reference, the steak sandwich special for 10 bucks on Thursday night is totally worth it; best beef for the price I’ve had in ages.